Teach and train in Seville
Do you have a TESOL or CELTA qualification? (Or if not, a TEFL?). Have you qualified since June 2016? Do you want to use your qualification to help everyone, including disadvantaged communities and individuals learn English? If so, apply now for our teaching training scheme!
Teach Seville is an EU funded ERASMUS+ scheme, run in partnership by Red Ochre in London and 3Si in Seville plus partner academies in the UK and Andalusia.
Teach Seville will provide 30 placements in 2017-2018 for you to use your teaching skills in English academies in Seville, Spain.
Here’s how it works:
- Placements last 90 days.
- The first group of 10 participants will be in Spain from approximately September 18th-December 19th. Group two are there from early January to beginning of April. And group three is our final group and will be in Seville from mid April to mid July (dates tbc).
- You will get all expenses paid. That means accommodation, flights, bills, 24/7 in country support, insurance and 100 Euros per week for your food and local travel.
- Train and teach in well known English academies (OUIEA, Conecta Idiomas, OC Languages to name a few…) in Seville as well as voluntary teaching opportunities so you can reach those who can’t afford to pay and improve your teaching. Placements will be modified to suit individuals but generally you’ll start off with an orientation week, move to shadowing activities before assisting and running your own classes. All our academies have hosted our trainee teachers before.
- Your own room in an apartment in central Seville. You’ll stay in the Macarena district of Seville with your own room and share a lounge and kitchen with two or three others who are also on Teach Seville!
- Continuous in country support from a friendly team who’ve done it. Our partners, Third Sector International are based in Seville. They are an Anglo-Spanish team full of staff that have teaching English qualifications. They’ll support you in your placement and your care whilst in Spain. This means day to day and week to week you will have support when you need it. Check out their Facebook page or watch this video about one of our participant’s experience on a similar scheme. You can also read case studies of previous participants on Teach Seville, Tajah, Jude, Kurtis and Laura.
Why have we set this up?
In the UK, there is a need for teachers with high quality, internationally recognised English language teaching qualifications. Recent census figures showed that across England 1.7% of the population (900,000 people) have either no, or poor spoken English. These people face significant barriers in participating fully in local, national and European life. There is a need for high quality, trained teachers who can think creatively, but also with the ability to innovate and be entrepreneurial in how they teach, where and when. In this way, the percentage of the population with no or poor English is more likely to be decreased. And Seville, like many other cities across the planet has a significant amount of people who would love to learn English (perhaps from someone like you).
Why would you do it?
If living in an incredible city like Seville with full support and funding, on a scheme that may not be around for much longer in the UK (post “Brexit”) isn’t enough….
We know that after qualifying, for most TESOL teachers experience is often isolated to ‘on the job’ progression. The need for innovative ways to reach and teach a variety of people means the placement can also provide training for participants to experience a variety of ways of practicing their vocation. And if you can help to teach the Sevillanos English, you’ll also be opening possibilities for them too.
Who can apply?
Anyone with a TESOL, CELTA or if not, a TEFL qualification gained since June 2016.
You must be a UK National or other EU citizen. Due to funding rules we cannot accept applications from Spanish citizens (as this is the location of our project).
Our criteria is focused on people who are kind, curious and committed to English teaching, to enjoying their time in Seville and to contributing something positive whilst there.
How to apply
Applications are now open and close on 1pm Monday 14th August. To apply, please download and complete an application form and send it, along with your CV, to the Founder of Teach Seville – Martin: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll then select candidates for Skype / telephone interviews which will take place in August. We will be in touch with ALL applicants at some point to tell them our decision. Whilst we receive many applications and have limited resources, responding to everyone who applies is important to us.
If you have any questions please feel free to get in touch – email@example.com
Some nice things people who’ve been on Teach Seville said:
“I cannot recommend this scheme enough. I have had the opportunity to work in other countries before but this was by far the best experience – socially and professionally.” Participant, Teach Seville, Dec 2015
Thought you might like to know I’ll be moving to Seville in August/September to take up a position in a language school. Can’t wait!” Participant, March 2017
A fantastic opportunity to live and work abroad in a beautiful and vibrant city. I had an amazing two months developing as an English teacher but also being immersed in a new culture and meeting lots of great new people. Participant, May 2016
I highly recommend the Teach Seville! Program. I felt well supported and thoroughly enjoyed my time in Seville, because it’s a unique opportunity that I will value tremendously throughout my future career. I am very grateful for being accepted onto the scheme, and I hope that it continues to get funding for years to come, because I think that it’s something that will be invaluable for so many fledgling teachers. Participant, May 2016
I had a really great time in Seville, and it helped me greatly to decide what I want to do in the future, and how to go about finding further work in the country. Participant, Dec 2015
I just wanted to say thanks for everything and for letting me be a part of Teach Seville. It really was an amazing experience and provided me with exactly the experience I needed to start working as an English teacher. Aside from that, it was loads of fun and I was able to visit a lot of beautiful places! I’ve got a job for the summer in Valencia so I’ll be heading back to Spain next weekend, I almost can’t believe it. Participant May 2017
Many thanks for taking the time out today to wrap up our placement with Teach Seville! The whole experience, from the city, to the school, to the people I’ve met over the past two months has been fantastic.I wanted to take this time to thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this scheme. I am very grateful for the experience, and it has helped open my eyes to what it is really like to live in another country, not simply to visit it as a tourist.I would recommend the scheme to anyone that asked. Participant May 2017
I just want to say one more thank you. I’ve had an absolute whale of a time in Sevilla. Life here has been great; I’ve met loads of great people, improved my Spanish dramatically, I couldn’t have wished for better colleagues. My students were great and I enjoyed every single lesson. Participant, Teach Seville, Dec 2015
Today while I was preparing my lessons for tomorrow, I felt how much I will miss that place, the academy and especially my students and the time spent with them. Some of them are planning to visit London during the summer, so I might have chance to see them again – which makes me happy. I’d like to say a BIG THANK YOU for everything what you have done for me and for us as a group. Thanks to you I had a really unforgettable experience which was a huge plus for my career prospects and life.” Participant, Teach Seville, March 2016